24th April 2017
Brief Points from Article below:
- Tesla Powerwall systems not offered by Solar Heroes due to availability and problems found with Tesla Software.
- Solar Heroes offer other equivalent brands including LG Battery Systems with pricing similar to the Powerwall with more features. Pricing on packages shown below.
We receive many calls and emails about the Tesla Powerwall so we have decided to address the questions with this post to help clarify.
We at Solar Heroes do not offer the Tesla Powerwall at this point due to the following reasons:
Our installers reported trouble with the preloaded software in the Powerwall therefore extending installation time and costs. The software otherwise known as firmware was not updated therefore making communication with the inverter impossible until a software upgrade was installed on the Tesla battery bank. The upgrades were making installations much more difficult and time consuming to complete.
The next big reason was that the Powerwall did not offer blackout protection to customers with inadequate grid power supply. The lack of blackout protection confused customers because they thought by having a battery backup meant that if the power went out in their area that they would still have power. Of course, this was not the case with the Powerwall.
Tesla Powerwall 2 is reported to be available and shipping to homes in Australia mid 2017. Although not arrived yet, you will find retailers accepting orders for the systems for when they arrive. It is important for customers to ask when the systems will actually be available for installation when placing their orders.
So where does this leave our customers who want lithium battery power including blackout protection right now? Solar Heroes offer many different brands of battery systems that are currently available on the market. For customers wanting our best suggestion, we suggest the LG Chem Lithium battery systems.
LG is a historically recognized brand for strong quality at an affordable price. Well known for their quality televisions and refrigerators, LG have really come to the party in delivering a Solar Battery system that meets the market requirements today. Some of the key features of the LG in comparison with the Tesla Powerwall are as follows:
- LG offer blackout protection where the Powerwall does not
- LG systems are expandable by 3.5kW increments where the Powerwall requires a complete full second system to expand.
- LG round trip efficiency is 95% and Powerwall is 91.8%
- LG Dimensions are 66cm tall x 40cm deep x 16.5cm deep whereas the Powerwall is 130cm tall x 86cm wide by 18cm deep.
- LG battery systems are compatible both physically and from a software perspective with a majority of hybrid inverters whereas the Powerwall is limited to only a few.
We will continually update this page with new information and will also post information when the Tesla Powerwall 2 is released and available here in Australia.
So as you can see there is much to consider and there are quite a few options to customers looking to incorporate battery storage into their electricity use. We encourage customers to make an informed choice by utilizing the information available to them. For a guide, we have listed some of our most popular packages below which are available now including pricing for retrofits to existing systems, upgrade costs to increase battery capacity and battery ready systems for customers wanting solar now but want to wait for batteries. Please note, we have plenty of other products and brands on offer, this is just a small list our most popular packages related to grid connected batteries.
Tesla Equivalent LG Packages
3kW Complete System
5kW Complete System
3-5kW Retrofit To Existing Systems
LG Chem 3.3 Resu Expansion Packs
Want to discuss your options in more detail? Contact us on 1800 477 454 or complete this form.